Thursday, January 19, 2012

Geocaching

Geocaching is a real-world outdoor treasure hunting game where players try to locate hidden containers called Geocaches. To find the caches you need a GPS device. Some people use Garmin devices, but there are multiple apps you can download on your phone. I downloaded the app Intro to Geocaching, it’s free and it’s pretty easy to use. When I started off I was a little skeptical but after getting started it turned out to be pretty fun. I knew there was a cache up at The Ridges so I headed there first. The cache is located at the Kennedy Museum of Art where I visited Tuesday but it was pretty tough to find. It was my first time looking for a cache so I had no idea what I was looking for and I ended up just roaming around aimlessly for awhile. The clue was “to the left” and I couldn't find anything to the left. I started to get little frustrated but then after crawling under a bush I found it totally hidden by leaves! This cache was a box and there was a ton of stuff inside, once you find the box you write your name in a book inside and you can take something out of the box and replace it with something else. The next cache I tried to find was at the OU baseball stadium. This was even harder for me to find! The app directed me to the general area, so I knew I was close I just could not find it anywhere. The clue was “water gate”, so I was looking all around this gated area and…nothing. After searching for a decent amount of time I was ready to give up, then I discovered the app has a compass on it that tells you exactly how many feet away you are. After using the compass feature I finallllly found it hanging from a sewer grate! This one was just a little black pill bottle and there was just a piece of paper inside to sign. Overall it was a fun experience, but I think it would be a little better when the weather is warmer. Next time I go Geocaching I think I will get a group of people to go and make a little competition, who can find the most Geocaches the quickest.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...